We know that Abraham was called the friend of God, James 2.23. But there is a detail in this verse we do not usually notice: the Bible does not say that God was the friend of Abraham – though He was –, but that Abraham was the friend of God. And this was not by accident.
To start a friendship it is necessary for both parties to be willing to put in effort. But this is not what has happened between most people and God. Everything God has done in regards to mankind shows how much He is willing to be a Friend to each one of us, but mankind has not shown to be as willing to be the friend of God.
When we analyze the characteristics of a friend, we understand why most people are not able to build a friendship with the Almighty, and why Abraham was called the friend of God.
– Consideration: what we have noticed is that people live as if God did not exist, disregarding what He says. But Abraham considered the words, guidance and counsel of God; this is, he acted in accordance with them;
– Respect: we disrespect God when His Authority and Sovereignty are not recognized, and this is precisely what we observe in the behavior of many. But Abraham feared God; therefore, he obeyed and surrendered to Him;
– Loyalty: it is a matter of moral values. However, what has reigned in the hearts and minds of most people is immorality. The lack of character has become common, and there is no longer a concern to be honorable. But Abraham fulfilled his promises to God, he honored his promises to Him;
– Willingness to help: people are only concerned with their own problems, with their own lives. Selfishness has prevailed, and, if they are no longer willing to help those they can see, how will they contribute to something they cannot see? But Abraham was so willing to cooperate with the Plan of God that he sacrificed every day for Him;
– Communication: Communication with God becomes impossible when a person’s mind is focused on earthly things, and this is precisely the kind of mind most have. But Abraham’s mind was focused on eternal things. So God spoke to him, and he listened to His voice;
– Things in common: The world loves and promotes ideas opposite to the principles of God. The very spirit of people is bad. But the spirit of Abraham had concepts and values in common with the Spirit of God. God watched the behavior and character of Abraham, who was different from others of that time. This is why He called him;
– Confidence: most people manifest a weak and emotional faith, which is shaken with the first setback. They begin to question, doubt and soon abandon God. But Abraham trusted God so much that he believed His promise would be fulfilled even if it meant he would have to sacrifice his only son on the Altar.
Many people expect a friendship from God, but they do not do what it takes to be the friend of God. They want to reap the benefits of God’s favors, but are not willing to be favorable to Him and His Plans. God is willing to be a friend to everyone, but few are willing to be a friend to God.
Abraham did not work any miracles, but he was the miracle itself – because he heard EVERY Word of the Most High. For this reason, he became a reference.
Do you want to be the friend of God? Look to Abraham, Isaiah 51.2